January 8, 2010

Beginnings

3 Years Old
Let’s start by talking about how I got into Runes of Magic. I guess I’ve always been a geek, nerd, highly intelligent person, whatever you want to call it. So it was pretty easy for me to fall into the group of strange boys that hung out in the music room and played Dungeons & Dragons. They loved having a girl playing with them, even though I remember surprising them with how ruthless I was.

Anyhoo, from D&D I moved on to other RPGs but the only one that sticks out in my mind is Vampire: The Masquerade. I only remember that one because I had an insane crush on the Game Master. I also had a flaw that I killed all plants I came near to, which was quite hilarious when walking through a forest.

In university I played a MUD. Does anyone remember those? It was sooooo geeky yet soooooo cutting edge! There were a few of us that would go to the 24-hour library or computer sciences lab and play all night. But it was fun and I met some great people online.

Fast forward to 2008 when I discovered World of Warcraft. Got a free three month trial and played obsessively. Ob-SESS-ively. My boyfriend got addicted as well and we would trade-off the one computer we had. I would play all night and then sleep while he played all day. Cuh-razy.

Then the free trial expired and I was too stingy – or frugal, that’s a more flattering word – to pay the monthly fee. So I didn’t game for a while and didn’t really miss it. Until I heard about Runes of Magic. A FREE game??? Wha-wha-what???

I logged on immediately and haven’t looked back.

2 comments:

  1. Exact same way I got into RoM, WoW was not worth paying for and then found RoM and haven't looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's almost exactly how I discovered RoM, only I didn't play WoW, I played Guild Wars. My bf at the time and I were really obsessed with it. I played for about 2.5 years, then quit because we had done just about everything in the game. When I bought my new laptop I wanted to find another MMO to keep me entertained during my free time in school, and well....I found RoM and haven't looked back. My roommate plays Maplestory, but I just can't get into it. lol

    Kyraone (30W/27K)
    Govinda Server

    ReplyDelete